AJCU Photographs Collection : Item Viewer
 
AJCU Photographs
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
AJCU Photographs Collection
back to results :: add to favorites : reference url previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Main entrance to the White-Gravenor Building at Georgetown University
TitleMain entrance to the White-Gravenor Building at Georgetown University
Publisher / RepositoryGeorgetown University Archives
CreatorJohn Brosnan, S.J.
Date Originalcirca 1935
DescriptionThe White-Gravenor Building was completed in 1933 as a Science-Recitation hall. It is named for two of the Jesuits who arrived in Maryland in 1634 on the Ark and the Dove, Andrew White (1579-1656) and John Altham alias Gravenor (1589-1640.) The Building has been described as a "sermon in stone" because of the Catholic and Jesuit symbolism of its external architectural details. The three story oriel over the main entrance includes carved symbols representing academic subjects. The symbol for each subject is accompanied by the name of a Jesuit educator prominent in that field. For example, Suarez, with the lamp of learning, represents Philosophy and Kircher, with lab instruments, represents Science. Directly above the door are five shields symbolizing academies founded by the Jesuits in Maryland. These read: 1634 St. Mary’s City; 1640 Calverton Manor; 1677 Newtown Manor; 1745 Bohemia Manor; and 1789 Georgetown Heights.
Physical DimensionPhotographic print, b/w, 7.5" x 10.75"
SubjectWhite-Gravenor (Building : Washington, D.C.); White, Andrew, 1579-1656; Gravenor, John, 1589-1640; Jesuit heritage; Learning environment;
CategoryArchitecture
Project TitleAJCU Archives Project
Collection TitleGeorgetown University Archives Photographic Files
TypeImage
FormatJPEG
RightsMaryland Province of the Society of Jesus
Distribution RestrictionsPermission to copy or publish must be obtained from the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus and the Georgetown University Archives
PublisherGeorgetown University Archives
back to results :: add to favorites : reference url previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^