AJCU Photographs Collection : Search Results
 
AJCU Photographs
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
AJCU Photographs Collection
select all : clear all : add to favorites  page 1 of 2 : ( <<  1  2  >> ) :: previous : next
 
Search results: 21 item(s) for: Buffalo     
 Image: Title: Publisher / Repository: Description:

1. Bart Mitchell ParkBart Mitchell ParkCanisius College ArchivesBart Mitchell Park was created by students of Canisius College to honor Lt. Col. Bartholomew V. Mitchell who served on the faculty of military science from 1960-64 and served as Dean of men at Canisius from 1968 until his death May 4, 1970. The park was located in the Quad opposite the Palisano Pavilion. It originally contained a large boulder with a commemoration plaque as well as a barbeque pit for cookouts. This photo shows the firepit with a view of Frisch Hall in the background. The firepit was considered a fire hazard and was covered up ca 1991. The plaque from the boulder was removed and preserved in 2004 when construction on Dugan residence hall, originally known as Eastowod Hall, began.

2. Basketball - Canisius team goes to the NCAA FinalsBasketball - Canisius team goes to the NCAA FinalsCanisius CollegeIn 1956 the Canisius College basketball team went to New York for the NCAA regionals. This photo of the team, taken prior to boarding the New York-bound train, was taken at the Central Terminal on Paderewski Drive in downtown Buffalo. Note the bottom half of the large bronze Buffalo behind the team. It was a landmark for many a traveler in the heyday of train travel. The team members are: Top row: Jackie Coogan, Gene Bartkowski, Joe Leone, Jim McCarthy, Coach Joe Curran. Middle row: Fr. Martin, Dave Markey, Bob Gondek, Bob Mesel, Bob MacKinnon, Dr. Edward Rozek. Bottom row: Greg Britz, Hank Nowak, Jim McMullan, Bob Kelly, John McCarthy, Frank Corcoran.

3. Basketball - Leroy CholletBasketball - Leroy CholletCanisius College ArchivesLeroy Chollet is one of the most celebrated basketball players in the Canisius College history.Having started at Loyola College in New Orleans, Chollet transferred to Canisius College in 1946, staying until the end of fall semester 1950.He played basketball for Canisius from 1946 through 1949. In Spring, 1950 he played for the Syracuse Nationals for two years, 1950 and 1951. He spent summers at Canisius in 1951 and 1952 and completed his degree in August, 1952. He is known for his entrepreneurial endeavor of the summer of '49 when he opened a hot dog stand at the corner of Main St. and Delevan Ave. in Buffalo. This eatery was called "Chollet's Chalet." Chollet was inducted into the Canisius College Sports Hall of Fame in 1964. Chollet died in Cuyahoga Falls, OH in June, 1998.

4. Campus Views - Quad - View of Loyola and the ChapelCampus Views - Quad - View of Loyola and the ChapelCanisius College ArchivesA view of Christ the King Chapel, Frisch Hall and Loyola Hall as seen from the Quad.

5. Campus Views- The Quad - 01Campus Views- The Quad - 01Canisius College ArchivesA photo of the Quad from 1962, with Loyola Hall to the left of the picture, Christ the King Chapel in the rear and part of the Horan-O'Donnell Science building to the right.

6. Dewey Hall - 01Dewey Hall - 01Canisius College ArchivesDewey Hall was built in 1946 by New York State for Canisius in order to accomodate the 1200 students enrolled at the College with the help of the GI Bill. The building was located on Hughes Avenue, to the east of Horan O'Donnell Science Building, and extended almost to the corner of Meech Street and Hughes Avenue. It sat where the Richard E. Student Center and Frisch Hall are currently located. It was named after Thomas J. Dewey, then governor of New York State.

7. Dewey Hall - 02Dewey Hall - 02Canisius College ArchivesDescription Dewey Hall as it was being torn down in January 1953. This building was built in 1946 by New York State for Canisius in order to accomodate the 1200 students enrolled at the College with the help of the GI Bill. Dewey Hall was located on Hughes Avenue, to the east of Horan O'Donnell Science Building, and it extended almost to the corner of Meech St. and Hughes Avenue. It sat where the Richard E. Student Center and Frisch Hall are currently located. It was named after Thomas J. Dewey, then governor of New York State.

8. Knute Rockne - Notre Dame Football CoachKnute Rockne - Notre Dame Football CoachCanisius College ArchivesThis is a photo of Knute Rockne at a luncheon held at the Buffalo Athletic Club in Buffalo, NY. The legend on the reverse side of the photo reads in part: "Dec. 16th at the Buffalo Athletic Club." Others in the photograph are from left to right, Msgr. Edmund Britt, Henry (Hank) Feist, Knute Rockne, E.F. (Tommie) Hughitt, Biffy Lee, University of Buffalo football coach, Rev. William Scoops Martin and Ted Sullivan, president of the Canisius College Alumni Association. Rockne was in town in December 1930 to speak at the annual Canisius football dinner held at the Statler Ballroom in downtown Buffalo NY. Rockne last visited Buffalo January 17, 1931 representing the Studebaker automobile company. He was in town to speak to the company's employees. Although the date on the back of the photo is December 16, mention of this photo in a news article observing the anniversary of Rockne's death (March 31, 1931) dated this photo from the January 17, 1931 visit.

9. Library - front viewLibrary - front viewCanisius College ArchivesA front view of the Andrew L. Bouwhuis library at Canisius ca 1958 right after its construction. It was later renovated in 1987-88.

10. Loyola Hall - Aerial ViewLoyola Hall - Aerial ViewCanisius College ArchivesAn aerial view of the Canisius College campus quad, including Loyola Hall, to the left, Bosch student residence hall to the rear of the photo and the dome of Old Main in the foreground.

11. Loyola Hall - Blessing of CornerstoneLoyola Hall - Blessing of CornerstoneCanisius College ArchivesLoyola Hall, the Jesuit residence at Canisius College, was built in 1949. This photo captures the laying of the cornerstone on April 27, 1949. The Very Rev. Raymond W. Schouten, S.J., president of Canisius College, watches as the Most Rev. Joseph A. Burke, V.G., auxiliary bishop of the Buffalo Diocese, applies a trowel to the cornerstone. The Very Rev. John J. McMahon, S.J. of New York and Charles S. Desmond of the State Court of Appeals look on.

12. Loyola Hall - Whole view 01Loyola Hall - Whole view 01Canisius College ArchivesA view of the Quad and Loyola Hall, the Jesuit residence at Canisius College. The residence was built in 1949.

13. Old Main - Front ViewOld Main - Front ViewCanisius College ArchivesA view of Old Main, the original and only building on the Main Street Campus for many years. Construction of Old Main began in 1910 and classes were first held there in 1912.

14. Old Main ConstructionOld Main ConstructionCanisius College ArchivesA view of the construction of Old Main on December 10, 1911.

15. Selma March - Returning homeSelma March - Returning homeCanisius College ArchivesCanisius College students and staff board the bus that will take them from Selma, Alabama back to Buffalo, New York.

16. St. Ann's church - school photographSt. Ann's church - school photographA class photo of students from St. Ann's Catholic School in Buffalo, New York. St. Ann's was founded by the Jesuits in 1858. The Jesuits founded Canisius College in 1870 in Buffalo, NY, originally a six year program of study. Many of the pupils from St. Ann's moved on to Canisius College.

17. St. Michael's Church - 01St. Michael's Church - 01Canisius College ArchivesSt. Michael's Church was located next door to Canisius College on Washington Street prior to 1911 in Buffalo, New York. St. Michael's church was founded in 1851 by the Jesuits prior to their founding of the College. This photo is of a Corpus Christi Mass ca. 1914.

18. St. Michael's church - 02St. Michael's church - 02This is a view of St. Michael's Church in Buffalo New York. This church was founded in 1851 by the Jesuit priests who came to Buffalo, New York.

19. St. Michael's Church - 03St. Michael's Church - 03Canisius College ArchivesSt. Michael's Church, Buffalo NY. An interior shot of the church taken on the occasion of the church's Silver Jubilee (1867-1892), ca. 1892. St. Michael's Church was founded in 1851 by the Jesuit priests who came to Buffalo, New York.

20. Students for Peace and InvolvementStudents for Peace and InvolvementCanisius College ArchivesPhoto of students in downtown Buffalo NY protesting the Vietnam War during the October 15, 1969 Vietnam Moratorium, a nationwide antiwar event across high school and college campuses. At Canisius College, the Students for Peace and Involvement coordinated activities for the Moratorium including speakers, teach-ins, a Mass, and a march joining with other students and citizens to downtown Buffalo.
select all : clear all : add to favorites  page 1 of 2 : ( <<  1  2  >> ) :: previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^