Search results for
Refine your search
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
Grasselli Clock Tower
The completion of this Gothic structure was just the beginning of the dream being fulfilled that this Jesuit University would come to life. Grasselli Tower, named for the Grasselli Family who donated the...
St. Ignatius Football Team 1916
Until about 1915, athletics at St. Ignatius College were basically club sports, with no actual college connection. Intercollegiate sports were, however, becoming much more popular among various Jesuit...
Father William Nichols as Himself
Father William Nichols was a well-liked and much admired professor of Physics.
Father Victor Winter's Orchestra
Father Winter began developing the St. Ignatius College Orchestra during World War I. It became successful rather quickly, mainly because the talent within was exceptional. By 1920, there were 90 members,...
Pacelli Hall Dedication 1952
Architecture; Events; Clergy
Archbishop Amleto Giovanni Cicognani, apostolic delegate to the United States, dedicates Pacelli Hall, the new men's dormitory. Pacelli is named after Pope Pius XII.
Faculty and Staff of JCU 1936
This photo depicts the faculty of the University on the newly opened campus in University Heights, Ohio. Six years of planning and anticipation finally became a reality. The campus today remains a tribute...
Father Henry Behrens
Father Henry Behrens (1815-1895), who was a Superior of the Buffalo Mission and rector of Canisius College, was instrumental and probably the first voice in attempting to establish a Jesuit college in...
JCU 1926 Football Program Cover
This cover is taken from the Saturday, October 31, 1926 Football Program, which cost 10 cents. John Carroll hosted Detroit in this Homecoming game. The Blue Streaks were coached by "Mal" Elward, a former...
First Carroll News 1925
With the change of of the University's name from St. Ignatius College to John Carroll University in 1923, it seemed appropriate also to change the name of the school newspaper. The first issue of the Carroll...
Early Graduates of the College
Father George J. Pickel, S.J., President of St. Ignatius College from 1907-1910, stands in the center of this photo surrounded by early graduates and two faculty members.
Lumina Staff 1916
In 1915, the college decided it was worthy of a publication. The "Lumina," in magazine form, made its debut in that year in the hopes of inspiring college spirit, bringing alumni and students in closer...
St. Ignatius College 1888
Father Neustich realized within two years of the opening of St. Ignatius College that the wooden building originally constucted did not suffice for the purposes of the school. He realized that in order...
St. Ignatius High School and College Jesuits 1921
The photo of this group of Jesuits shows a somewhat serious gathering of educators committed to preparing both high school and college young men for their futures. Their dedication as teachers and leaders...
The First St. Ignatius Building 1886
On September 6, 1886, St. Ignatius College, the forerunner of John Carroll University, opened its doors to 76 motivated young men. This first building was constructed of wood and stood at the corner of...
Father McQuade 1952
Father James McQuade, a veteran religion teacher at JCU, took his teaching to a new level when he appeared in a 13-part television series entitled "Catholics Believe." Fr. McQuade's course, "What is Catholicism?"...
Rev. William J. Murphy
This very popular Jesuit held a multitude of positions during his many years at John Carroll University. From becoming Athletic Director in 1930 to Student Union Moderator and Dean of Men to Philosophy...
WWII Veterans at Business School
World War II made its impact strongly even on John Carroll University. Due to the fact that so many young men had to leave college to fight for our country, the University closed down temporarily. With...
First Female Faculty Member
Mrs. Mary Neff was the first full-time woman faculty member at John Carroll. Her freshman mathematics students take the time to check out their new instructor as she walks by in 1956.
Girls Choir 1968
In 1968, John Carroll University officially became the Catholic Co-Educational University in Cleveland, Ohio. Without missing a beat, young women blended into this University's life immediately, and the...
Architects' Drawing of New JCU 1931
The architects' drawing in 1931 of what the new John Carroll University would look like shows the Administration Building with the Tower joined by the arcade on the left to the Physics-Biology Building...
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^